Inform Article

Financial Assistance for Rent and Utilities Now Available

Posted by Noelle Smith of Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County
Financial Assistance for Rent and Utilities Now Available picture

Rental Assistance

If you are struggling to pay your rent and are currently past due, you may want to apply for assistance through a special program administered by the Florida Department of Children and Families. In order to be eligible, you must have a minor child living in the home and meet certain income guidelines. If your application is approved, you may receive $400 toward your rent. The rent will be paid directly to your landlord and your landlord must sign a form agreeing to accept the funds without pursuing an eviction. For additional information, please contact DCF's Emergency Financial Assistance for Housing Program at 1-877-891-6445.

Assistance with Utilities

For all Palm Beach County Residents...

Palm Beach County's Community Action Program is available to assist residents through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). This program can help Palm Beach County residents with electricity bills. In order to apply, your income must be at or below 150% of Federal Poverty Guidelines. There is no age requirement to receive funds through this program. Residents can apply at any of the Community Action Program offices or Palm Beach County Department of Senior Services offices (if over age 55).

For Seniors Only...

There are a number of resources available to help you if you have fallen behind on your electricity bills. If you are over age 60 and live south of the Town of Hypoluxo, you may be eligible for assistance with your electricity bill. Unfortunately, at this time there are no funds available to assist residents over age 60 who live north of the Town of Hypoluxo. If you wish to apply for this program, you must have a past due bill or turn off notice from your electricity company. You may contact the Volen Center at 561-395-8920 ext. 299 for additional information.

For FPL Customers...

Florida Power and Light (FPL) has a program called Care to Share. You may notice on your FPL bills that you can make donations to the Care to Share Program. Under the Care to Share program, customers can be assisted once a year with a bill of no more than $750.00. In order to apply for this program, you must contact Palm Beach County Division of Human Services at 561-845-4644 or 561-274-3130.